Thursday, August 21, 2008

regularity

Mountjoy Street is a great place to live.

I spent most of the day (well, the afternoon; I slept in to finish off the jet-lag) roaming around the area around the room I rented. It was quite informative. Here are the things I have learned:
  • Just a couple blocks south of here is Parnell Street, which is one of the major streets for shopping in the area. Just off Parnell and further down Jervis Street are where the main malls and department stores are located. Also, Moore Street is a pretty major fresh produce market, and there's a Tesco, a Lidl, and an Aldi all within a block or so.

  • In the other direction, you get into the heart of Phibsborough, the part of Dublin I'm in. Phibsborogh is famous as the home of the Bohemian F.C., a pretty successful Irish League football club. They play at Dalymount Park, which is about an 8-10 minute walk.

  • The McDonald's off O'Connall Street (which is about 8-10 minutes away as well) serves spring rolls.

  • The pub on the corner--Dec Gallagher's--is a pretty classic little local pub. I was the only stranger in it, and by the time I left tonight, the barman knew my name anyway.
So, that's what I've picked up on my third day in Dublin. No fun Irish story tonight, so you'll have to just tide yourselves over with the Dublin facts above.

No comments: