Saturday, October 04, 2008

getting classy

After all this time, my extended vacation is finally coming to a close. Classes start on Monday, so I might actually have to do stuff most of the day again. That's fine, though, given that that was pretty much the entire point of my trip over here.

We had an orientation thing for the computer science postgrads yesterday, so I got to meet everyone and hear a bit about the course itself. It sounds like it'll be pretty intense; teaching runs from 10ish to 6ish every Monday through Thursday, but we have Friday off entirely. That will be the case from now until March, and in March we have exams to qualify us to actually do the dissertation to get the degree. Apparently, students over here usually get a couple of chances to pass their qualifying exams, but in our case we have to pass them the first time or we can't get the degree. It makes sense to me that I'd have to pass all my tests, but to the Europeans in the group (which basically includes everyone else, since I'm the only American in the course this year) that came as a bit of a surprise.

Still, my classmates seem like they'll be good people to be working with, and they're generally a lot of fun. There was a little reception after the orientation sessions today, and after that a bunch of us went to the "Pav" (the Pavilion Bar, which is on Trinity's campus) and had a few beers before taking off for a pub called the Globe on Dame Street. It was pretty packed, given that it was a Friday night and Trinity was just starting classes back up. I guess my actual student experience is starting back up again.

Some other notes from Ireland:
  • It's getting cold here. Yesterday, the high was around 9º C (48º F), and today it's raining (again).

  • After we were done at the pub, we went to Dublin's answer to Lazzari's in Lincoln, a little pizza joint that serves up fresh-cooked slices late into the night. I don't remember the name, but it's just off the Temple Bar area and I imagine I could find it again if I looked.

So, anyway, that's all I've got for now. More updates later!

1 comment:

Research Papers said...

Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.