Wednesday, September 13, 2006

killing me sweetly

I think my job is going to kill me.

Not because of the stress, not because of the potentially long hours, but because of the adult-onset diabetes.

Granted, programming isn't the healthiest job in the world anyway; I stare at a computer monitor all day (eyes), type into a keyboard for hours (wrists), and sit at a desk doing very little in the way of exercise (heart). But what takes the cake in this case (ha!) is the sugar.

The office fridge is stocked with Pepsi, cream soda, etc. We've even made a little pop-can tetrahedron, which is currently starting into its eighth triangular layer; right now it's at 86 cans. Figuring most of those are Pepsi and only a couple are diet, I'd say we can look at an average of around 140 calories and about 38 grams of sugar. All told, that brings us close to 12,000 calories in the stack and about 3,200 grams of sugar consumed. Granted, it's not all me and it's taken us a few months, but still...that's a lot of high fructose corn syrup.

Maybe we should switch to diet.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, we have a convenience store style fridge filled with every type of Soda, Snapple, Starbucks bottled drink, Gatorade, Energy Drink and much much more.

That's just the drinks, the cereal shelf has about 30 varieties, we have every type of milk (including soy), a freezer of every ice cream snack, plenty of sandwhich fixings, a drawer dedicated to chewing gum, another for beef jerkey, two whole areas of cookies ranging from Otis-to-Oreo-to-Famous Amos, and then giant tubes of things like jelly bellys and chocolate covered peanuts.

Anyways --- work I keeps me fat :-P

JS